It’s almost December and there’s still plenty of time to take the perfect holiday photo for your Christmas or holiday card. No need to book a professional family photo shoot when you can use the tips below to take a great picture using your iPhone or Android smartphone’s camera and pull-off the perfect DIY photoshoot.
5 Tips to Take the Perfect Holiday Photo with your Phone
- Use natural light. Take your photos outdoors. Natural light allows for more even skin tones and better image quality. No filter needed.
- Avoid the backlit photos. Be sure the sun or lights are not behind you as this causes your photos to be dark and shadowy.
- Golden hour, golden pics! The best time of day to capture beautiful natural photos is during the golden hour, sunset. The lighting adds a beautiful golden tone to skin-tones and there are no harsh shadows. Move quickly as the sunsets in less than an hour during the fall and winter seasons.
- Say no to flash. Ditch the flash and harsh light. It’s not flattering and often distorts shapes and sizes.
- Call a friend. Ask a friend or family member to take your picture—smartphones have better image quality when using the forward-facing camera. As them to take the photo horizontally instead of vertically.
I order my holiday cards from Minted every year and love them! Their prices are good the entire season but their Black Friday sale gives you 20% off, plus you can text them photos and a stylist sends you back 5 styled designs for #FREE! Use my 2017 discount code to get to 20% OFF holiday cards with code BRIGHT17. You’ll find the perfect holiday card for your style and budget, with high quality paper and printing .
And if you need help with capturing the perfect holiday photo, Minted recently launched a convenient new service called Photo Op! You can get easy, beautiful in-home photography starting at $100. *This service is currently offered ONLY in SF, LA and NY.
This is a sponsored post in partnership with Minted. If you purchase a card using one of my links, I will earn a small commission at NO additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!