Summer is officially here and if you’re not bathing suit ready, the time is now. Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to lose weight and get healthy nutrients that my body needs. Some folks like to eat their fruits and veggies, I like to drink them, especially after a great workout. Fruit smoothies taste great in the summer time this recipe for a strawberry, coconut, and banana is like a vacation in a cup. (And if you’re feeling up to it, why not add a shot of your favorite rum to it? Because it’s 5 o’clock somewhere.)
When I consider what I want in my smoothies, I consider what fruits are in season. Although in season most of the warm months, strawberries taste especially good between June and August. Strawberry smoothies are really refreshing but when added to shredded coconut– this smoothie really does make you happy.
For this recipe I skipped the greens. It nice to change things up from my usual kale and/or spinach base that are my go-to on a usual day. Try this smoothie for breakfast or for a late afternoon snack by the pool. ENJOY!
Recipe: Strawberry Banana Coconut Smoothie
- 5-6 fresh cold strawberries -Great antioxidant, full of vitamin C and great anti-aging food.
- 1 frozen medium sized banana – bananas in smoothies provide a natural sweetener and potassium that also supports weight-loss.
- 1 to 2 dashes of cinnamon – cinnamon is great anti-inflammatory and helps boost your metabolism.
- 2 tablespoons organic shredded coconut – source of iron and fiber to keep you feeling full
- 1 cup vanilla flavored almond milk- almond milk is lower in calories than cow’s milk and offers more calcium needed for strong bones.
- 4 ice cubes