Summer is officially here and if you’re not bathing suit ready, the time is now. This smoothie with fresh strawberries, coconut, and banana tastes like a vacation in a glass. (And if you’re feeling up to it, why not add a shot of your favorite rum to it? Because it’s 5 o’clock somewhere.) Smoothies are one of my easy diet adjustments to help me lose weight while still letting me feel full and get the healthy nutrients that my body needs.
Although I usually opt for greens in my smoothies, I like to switch things up sometimes. When deciding what fruit to put in my smoothies, I consider what fruits are in season. Strawberries are good all year round but are especially tasty between June and August. Strawberry smoothies topped off with shredded coconut add an extra fruity and naturally sweet flavor to the berries.
Try this smoothie for breakfast or for a late afternoon snack by the pool. ENJOY!
Recipe: Strawberry Banana Coconut Smoothie
- 5-6 fresh cold strawberries -Great antioxidant, full of vitamin C and great anti-aging food.
- 1 frozen medium sized banana – bananas in smoothies provide a natural sweetener and potassium that also supports weight-loss.
- 1 to 2 dashes of cinnamon – cinnamon is great anti-inflammatory and helps boost your metabolism.
- 2 tablespoons organic shredded coconut – source of iron and fiber to keep you feeling full
- 1 cup vanilla flavored almond milk- almond milk is lower in calories than cow’s milk and offers more calcium needed for strong bones.
- 4 ice cubes