I love the fresh flavors of cilantro and lime, especially on a taco. And with shrimp… sabroso! Add a little cumin, squeeze of orange juice, smoky chipotle, and you have a real party going on in your mouth.When I traveled to Mexico recently I sought out dishes with these fresh flavors.
This weekend I was in the mood for some fresh-mex food and was so happy to see I had all the ingredients. These tacos are great to make for a casual gathering with friends or on a lazy, hot summer day. My daughter, who usually doesn’t like sour cream, loved this dish. I think it had to do with the fresh lime flavors mixed in.
We didn’t have avocados but if you have some and love them, by all means, add some cubed avocados to your dish!
If you’re following a low-carb or gluten free diet, skip the tortilla and serve over a salad.
- Juice from a lime
- ½ orange, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh Cilantro
- 1½ to 2 pounds of raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smokey chipotle powder
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- coconut or olive oil
- 4-6 small flour or corn tortillas
- shredded broccoli, cabbage salad with kale (or any salad mix you may have)
- pineapple salsa
- cubed avocado
- Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- juice from ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed orange juice
- kosher salt
- Gluten Free Blue Tortilla Chips
- Rinse shrimp and place in medium bowl.
- Season with kosher salt, pepper, cumin, chipotle, and freshly ground garlic.
- Add chopped cilantro, lime and orange juice. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sour cream dressing by adding sour cream, remaining cilantro, juice from ½ lime, cumin, chipotle, and salt. Stir until blended. Store in fridge.
- Once shrimp is finished marinating, place large skillet on medium. Coat pan with 1 tablespoon or more of coconut oil or EEOV.
- Pour shrimp with marinade into skillet. Cook on low for about 5 minutes until shrimp is pink and no longer grayish. Don't overcook shrimp.
Place a scoop of sour cream dressing on bottom of warm tortilla and spread. Add shrimp, top with salad, pineapple salsa, another scoop of sour cream dressing, and garnish. Serve with tortilla chips and side of sour cream. Enjoy!