Allow me to self-reflect for a moment. I’ve been told before that I have an alpha female personality. I never really understood or knew exactly what that meant, or whether I should consider that as a compliment. I know sometimes it wasn’t meant to be nice, so in my younger days, I would try to tame my alpha personality to accommodate others. In my mid-30s, however, I felt confident enough to be comfortable with who I am instead of try to make others comfortable. Apologizing or trying to be someone you are not is exhausting. This doesn’t mean I won’t apologize for hurting someone or doing something wrong. That’s different. But apologizing for being strong, confident? Nope. I make goals and I go for them. I dream big and I aim high. Sometimes I fail so I try again. In fact, it’s the failures that motivate me to do even better.
I’m surrounded by other alpha women which doesn’t help. Or maybe it does? My best friends are all alpha females. We push each other, encourage each other and know that being a woman does not define what we can or can’t do. My mentors are strong and passionate about what they do and I love that. It’s why I seek guidance from them.
Recently, someone complimented me for being alpha so of course, I was intrigued. I decided to finally look it up and find out more. I read some articles, even talked to an executive coach about it. What I learned was really interesting. My do-what-it-takes-or-go-home mentality is what’s given me the guts to be an entrepreneur, to pursue a degree and job in a male dominated profession, to present in front of a group of men who have no faith in women. I also learned that alpha women often don’t make friends easily. As we know, many women dislike other women before friendly introductions have even been exchanged. For alpha women, this happens very often, especially in a new business or social environment. Most women have to trust an alpha woman before they will decide to befriend her.
Other character traits include the following.
Alpha Female Character Traits:
- Persistence, tenacity, determination and a strong sense of mission
- Alpha females fiercely protect and provide for herself and her family
- Are usually viewed as a leader in the workplace
- Enjoy physical activity and challenges more than other women
- Referred to often as a “high achievers”
- Career is part of her identity
- Fiercely independent
- Doesn’t expect a man to take of her
- Doesn’t mind (almost expects) to earn more than her spouse or significant other
- Enterprising since childhood
- Often mistaken for being aloof or a bitch
- Expects others to be responsible for their own lives, and take care of themselves
- An alpha woman’s index and ring finger are the same size
- Read here for a long list of female alpha character traits
As I read the traits, even checked my fingers, I couldn’t help but nod and feel a sense of better understanding of who I am and the cloth that I am made of. I like my alpha personality and I am okay with saying it- I am alpha, hear me roar!