I love supporting programs and brands that are involved in issues that are close to my heart. Education and community building is certainly one. Today, I had the opportunity to interview Reba Dominski, director of community relations at Target. Reba and I spoke about one of Target’s ongoing programs that will help 150 schools in communities around the United States. The program is called Target School Library Makeover Program. According to the most recent data by the U.S. Department of Education, one in four Americans did not graduate from high school. Research shows, however, that if a student can read proficiently by the end of third grade, that number can decrease dramatically.
The makeover program is part of Target’s continued commitment to education and helping students in Target communities around the United States. Through the program, selected schools across the country will receive a total library makeover. Libraries in the selected schools will receive 2,000 books, new furniture, flooring, and a total technology upgrade that includes new computers, smart boards and iPads. Schools that participate in the program are selected in collaboration with the local school districts within each community. Reba shared with me that the program doesn’t just end with the makeover. As part of Target’s commitment to its communities, Target team members, volunteers, and supporters will stay involved. Part of that effort will include a $15,000 reading grant to all of the schools that receive a library makeover.
I applaud Target for taking action on such an important initiative and I certainly appreciate them for using the voices of bloggers to help raise awareness and spread the word. Through this program and others, Target hopes to inspire us to nurture a child’s love of reading. To learn more about this and other Target programs that support education, check out Target’s website and the community education page.
Help me spread the word by participating in this giveaway and spreading the word about the Library Makeover Program. One lucky winner will receive the following:
- Kids Made Modern Double Pointed Crazy Crayons
- Kids Made Modern Crazy Colored Pencils
- Kids Made Modern Mini Colored Pencils
- 12 pk of Pencils
- One Ruler
- 1 Pencil Sharpener
- Pencil Erasers
The requirements to enter the giveaway are the following:
- Leave a comment answering the following question in the comment section: Since we are talking about reading, what was the name of the last book that you read? Or, what was your favorite childhood book?
To increase your chances at winning, try one of these options below (only after you completed the steps above): Leave a separate comment for each additional entry with links, as necessary.
- Follow @JusticeJonesie on Twitter
- Like JusticeJonesie on Facebook
- Comment on any other non-giveaway post on my blog and leave a comment with the post title.
- Stumble or pin this post and leave a comment for each. (Use a share button below, easy as pie!)
- Tweet about this giveaway and include a link to this post and my Twitter handle, @JusticeJonesie, using the hashtag #Giveaway. Create your own tweet or use this sample: “Learn how Target supports students through education programs & enter to win a backpack & school supplies! #giveaway http://su.pr/8ff7PL″
- Subscribe to receive blog updates and subscriber-only content via email and leave a comment letting me know you did. Make sure to leave the same email you subscribed with in your comment.
- Follow JusticeJonesie on Pinterest or Google+.
THE FINE PRINT
- This giveaway ends Sept. 26, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. EST .
- Entries that do not follow the submission guidelines will be automatically deleted.
- Winner will be chosen using random.org to generate a random number.
- Winners must leave a valid email address on their entry.
- Winners will be notified via email and have 48 hours to respond with a valid mailing address and contact info. If the prize is not claimed, winner will be disqualified and another winner will be chosen at random.
- Winner must have a valid US address.
- Void where prohibited.
- No purchase necessary.
- The prize will be shipped by product representative. We are not responsible for any delays in delivery, damaged or lost items.
I received a backpack and Target gift card for this opportunity, however, all opinions expressed are my own.